Thursday, August 8, 2013

“Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.” ― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

Since the live action movie of the popular book, "Enders Game", is hitting the theaters this summer, I decided to reread the book. Mainly to give myself a refresher before I go see the movie, so I can yell at the screen how inaccurate it is, and since it was one of my favorite books growing up. 


Also, I never read the 4 books following Enders Game, which I always kind of wanted to, but never got around to it.  The most prelevant reason being that I kept hearing that it got weird, and promptly followed by it wasn't written as well.  I always thought that these where good reasons to stay away from them. But lately I've been trying to take my reading habits and try to branch out a little so I'm not just retreading the same books all the time. 


I should've listened to everyone. The series is exactly what the plethora of people I know said they where. I think the main problem with them is that Card tries to wax philosophical way to much. To the point where the story becomes very monotonous. It really ruins the pacing for me. I'm not trying to say what he's trying to get across is wrong, Card just does it in away that I find really boring. If he would brake it up with some action, or really anything for that matter, I think my interest would be more engaged. But the series so far has felt more like a chore to read then anything else. 


Plus, I feel no real connection to any of the characters. They come across a little bland and boring. But since I hate not finishing a series more than it being badly written, I'm resolved to finish "Children of the Mind", the last book in the series. The older I get, the more I think Enders Game is getting "meh" on me. It's not horrible, but the last read through of it, it's gotten a lot more average then I remember. It's hard for me to think of it as the great and wonderful piece of literature that I once did. But that shouldn't stop you fromocing it all the more. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment