Thursday, April 22, 2010

"As a whole, people suck. But a person can be extraordinary.". - Harry Dresden

I had a great night being with a couple of friends tonight, and I remembered something about myself. When I’m a part of a group setting, I’m an observer. Some of my friends might disagree with me, but deep down I am. I just like to watch people. And I’m also shy, which might have something to do with it. But, sometimes you can learn a lot about people by just standing aside and just observing them.
Being shy and liking to observe can make me come across as distant, lacking a personality, and not opinionated. I admit, I do have a mixture of those qualities. I’m distant, until I warm up to you. My personality doesn’t shine until we connect. And if I seem to be not very opinionated, that means 1, I don’t really care about the subject, or 2, I don’t have enough information to form a valid opinion.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that I use to judge people pretty harshly (especially in High School) on just first impressions, and Ive tried to change that. I think I might still do that occasionally, but I consider myself a pretty open guy now, willing to listen and try different things. When I don’t give people a chance, I try to catch myself, and realize people have different ideas and viewpoints than I do, and try to be more accepting of them.
But that’s the point of life, isn’t it? Continue to grow and learn. So live long and prosper.

3 comments:

bluefish said...

You're a good man, Eric, and a good friend.

Rebecca E. James said...

Here's the blog of another Dresden convert. There's a great catalog of quotes! http://200booksetc.blogspot.com/

Smurfs O'Malley said...

This is great! It can provide me for enough facebook statuses for like a month! :)

Post a Comment